Friday, February 20, 2009

It's Friday!








Of course, Fridays do not mean as much when a person is retired! It is a nice sunny day here by the mountains...with not much wind.

Turk is progressing in his healing and is still spending his time in the porch when not on a leash taking a walk for a poddy break. His soft brown eyes are so sad that he has to stay inside. He wants to be outside sitting on a snowdrift and rolling around in what is left of the snow. Just a few more weeks, Turk.

My little Valentine Lamb did not win the poll, but came in with 21 other items...so that was very nice. My thanks to all that voted for my little lamb.

So, when is the last time you made noodles, pasta or whatever you call it??? I made some today. There is nothing as good as homemade noodles. And they are easy to make! I will give you a recipe that I have based my noodles on -- since I never seem to follow a recipe, giving my recipes to others is quite difficult. But here is a basic Egg Noodle recipe:

EGG NOODLES:
2 cups all-purpose or whole wheat flour
3 egg yolks
1 egg
2 teaspoons salt
1/4 to 1/2 cup water

(now, in my own recipe I use: 2 cups flour, 1 to 2 eggs, 1 teaspoon salt, 1 Tblsp vegetable oil, and enough water to get the right consistency...)

Make a well in the center of the flour. Add eggs, salt; mix thoroughly (I put the oil in here). Mix in the water, 1 tablespoon at a time, until dough is stiff but easy to roll.

I now knead the dough on a floured mat until it becomes blended together and you can feel the elasticity that you will need to roll out the dough. I use the heel of my hands to do the kneading just as you would bread dough.

You now have a lump of dough and are wondering what the heck you do to make noodles! You will take this lump and begin to roll it out with a rolling pin (I use my old Tupperware rolling pin). (It is rather funny, I can remember my Mom using a jar of vinegar to roll out her pie dough and anything else she wanted to roll out or crush...I was rather thrilled to find out that there actually was a real rolling pin...it was hard to get used to the uniform ends of a real rolling pin!)

Anyway, you roll out the dough -- this will be a little hard at first, but you can also place the dough (once it is rolled out enough) around the rolling pin and roll away making the dough stretch. I use a mat for cutting out fabric pieces to do my noodles and my bread! It is big (like huge) and cleans up nicely.

The dough will be getting bigger as you roll it out...you can then gently pull the dough out to the sides and then roll it even more, being careful to not get it so thin that it begins to pull apart.

When I have the dough as thin as I want it, I then cut it into quarters with a knife. I then begin to cut strips of noodles through the dough. You can make them as thin or thick as you want.

I then take a metal spatula, scoop the noodles up and on to my hands and then put them into the boiling chicken broth, salted water, stew, or whatever you are making. Cook until tender (12 to 15 minutes).

YUMMY!

2 comments:

  1. Hi Judy,
    I gonna to make this tomorrow. I love homemade. I am not good one though. The noodle soup look so tasty too...mouth-watering....>______<||| How do you make your soup?

    ReplyDelete
  2. This looks so good! I'm glad to be able to learn from the best. ;)
    I am so excited to try this.

    ReplyDelete