Sunday, February 22, 2009

Meet the "Girls" Chickens and lambs


Columbias or white-faced ewes....there a so very many breeds of sheep, you would not believe; but we had Columbia and Rambouillet along with Suffolks or black-faced.










This is my little buddy...she is first to greet me at the quonset door and she follows me everywhere..."more treats, Judy"...that is what she is thinking! She races to the feed bunk and dives in to get what she likes the best. I think it is the sunflower seeds!

Here is a little grouping of my flock of chickens...I have about 30-ish or so...hard to count...they dash here and there!






The chickens lay brown eggs...the Araucana lay colored eggs...blue, pink, green (they are brown eggs with color). The Araucana (actually called American Araucana because they are a mixed breed) are the reddish chickens you see in the pictures. They are very nice chickens and do not pick at each other. I do not have any roosters, because they are nasty critters and have very nasty mean habits when dealing with the hens. Roosters can also be very aggressive to small children when children come into the area! We only get roosters by mistake when we order laying hens.


This spring we will have to get some more baby layers, my girls are getting old and have quit producing eggs. I do not butcher my "girls" -- they live until they die! Some of my laying or not-laying-anymore hens live a very long life. I had a Banty cross live about 8 years!


We do like to let the girls out of the quonset when it is nice, but then I have worry about eagles, hawks, and some of my dogs! Turk will kill a chicken and I do believe his son, Boo-Boo, will also! It is not a very wise decision to allow chickens and dogs to be together. Although, for years my chickens and my older Anatolians, and Kaina (blue heeler cross) left them alone...the Anatolians would bed down in the quonset...but then I caught Sweetpea snacking on eggs, so that ended that! We have had badgers, skunks, owls and such take up residence in the quonset after the Anatolians were kept out. The badger would snack on my chickens, the skunk would eat the eggs, and the owl also liked the taste of chickens.


It is an absolutely beautiful day here by the mountains -- the temperature is in the 50's. I really need to wash my van...it is suppose to be this nice most of the coming week! I sure hope so...ice and snow are not my favorite anymore...if they were ever my favorite.


I will add a picture of a grouping of my lambs...finished a few yesterday and today.

It was an interesting night last night. The coyotes were really "talking" so that made all our dogs bark all night long. I heard a coyote very close to the house and became worried about our old Anatolian, Feather, she still thinks she is fierce, but her age has caught up to her (such as it has with me). So I got out of bed, got dressed, got the flashlight and went outside to find Feather and see if she was okay. She was close to garden, which is rather close to the house. Buster, an Anatolian cross, was on guard with Feather. He, too, was now close to house. I was going to walk out to the stackyard (where the hay is kept -- stacks of hay) but thought better of it, just in case a bear might have gotten up early from it's long winter nap. Drove out there and flashed my lights around...could not see any eyes reflecting in my headlights. So, my morning started very early today. Took Turk for a potty break. He had been howling and barking in the porch all night long. He is attempting to open the porch door...there are teeth marks on the knob! Guarding is in their blood. Yikes, so not much sleep was obtained by anyone in the household.


My daughter-in-law made butter from our milk cow's cream. I made eclairs the other day and for the filling I use instant vanilla pudding and cream cheese and milk...well, this time I made it with the thick cream...wow! it was such a creamy wonderful pudding filling! Don't ask about the calorie count! I use a cream puff recipe for the eclair, and then make a fudge topping -- oy! So very good!


Have to go and do something constructive....or not! I wonder if it is too late to wash my car...I would have to haul the water from the house and toss it onto the car...messy...too cold for hoses! How much do I care about what my car looks like....hmmmmm!






1 comment:

  1. Sounds like the good life! I want a cow one day that makes some great cream. We'll have to wait until we have a little more land. The eclairs sound heavenly.

    ReplyDelete