Tuesday, March 17, 2009

Happy St. Patrick's Day!


Canadian YUMS! See recipe below!
March 17th...Happy St. Patrick's Day!..


It was 26 degrees this a.m. and the wind was whipping across the flats/meadows! Hang on to your hats, vehicle doors, and anything else that could take "flight" when the winds blow. I sometimes wonder what we would talk about if it were not for the "Winds"...What could you blame things on if it were not for the winds?


One of our famous sayings is, "What a lovely day, if the wind wasn't blowing..." The WIND affects everything in our life in our area. You can ignore it if you so desire...you can pretend you do not hear it whistling through the few trees that can live in this area. Or roaring down the waterways...is that a low-flying jet!


Where are the lawn chairs, what happened to the cat, where are the quonset doors, where is that beautiful hanging plant, what happened to the bedroom window -- all gone without any notice -- just gone, done for...oh, the cat survived and is okay.


I remember once when I was opening the border gate one early morning...there were vehicles on both sides of the gate...anyway, I unlocked the lock, pulled the chain off and WHAM, the gate hit me in the face! I stood there, WOW the pain of it, but I was brave -- no tears, no bad words, very professional...removed the chain and lock as usual, took the gates and opened them, attached them to their proper posts, climbed back into my vehicle! The waiting vehicles passed into the US from Canada...I then let out a scream...the gate had slammed my glasses into my nose, dismantled the glasses and rearranged my nose. And so, that is how the wind started my day, that day. I tend to dislike gates to the point of "hate". Gates have caused me considerable damage in my Montana life. Once a cow hit a very heavy gate and then "threw" the gate into my face, slamming into the left side of my face at my left eye socket. Broke my cheek bone in three places, really rattled my brain and has left me with headaches to this day. But, I can't blame that on the wind!


But, this is not why I started this post! Have you ever had Canadian Yums??? I think this recipe is a corruption of the Nanaimo Bars first made in British Columbia, Canada. But when you compare the recipes they are almost the very same. I have changed a few parts of the recipe to suit me.


Canadian YUMS (most recipes are for a 9" pan...who can only make a 9" pan...?)


13" pan:


3/4 cup melted butter

7 tablespoons sugar

7 tablespoons cocoa powder

2 teaspoon real vanilla

...melt these ingredients in a sauce pan...when melted, whip in 2 eggs, when mixture thickens, remove from the heat and stir in 2 1/2 cups grapham cracker crumbs (you can also add nuts or coconut at this point -- I do not).


Pat this mixture into a pan, I use a rubber spatula to smooth it into the pan. Cool in fridge.


2nd layer:


8 Tablespoons butter

6 Tablespoons milk

4 Tablespoons instant vanilla pudding

(or use custard powder)

2-1/2 cups powdered sugar


Beat these ingredients together, spread over the cooled bottom layer -- put in fridge.


3rd layer:


I use 1 can sweetened condensed milk; heat on stove until warm (do not boil). Add 2-1/2 cups of milk chocolate chips (or semi-sweet if you prefer), stir over low heat only until the chips are melted and smooth, add 1 tsp vanilla. Remove from heat and spread over the pudding filling. I keep my Canadian Yums in the freezer. Cut into squares, as you would fudge, 'cause at this point it is fudge.


If you will look up the recipe for Nanaimo Bars you will see that the recipe is similar. Some say that using Canadian custard powder or pudding powder makes it taste that much better. I have always used Jello Instant Vanilla Pudding. Using real cream instead of milk will make it that much richer.



4 comments:

  1. So good! Those Canadians know how to put together a dessert! ;)
    The one thing I don't think I will ever miss is the wind. Remember, yes; fond memories even when it was around, yes; but miss, NO!
    I would not have been as strong if a gate hit me in the face that way. That is some great professional advice, I hope I remember it when I need it.
    Thanks for sharing the recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Jennie! I am enjoying your cooking blog! Do you have any wedding pictures of your parents that you could put on your personal blog...I would love to see them!

    hugs and love you and yours......je

    ReplyDelete
  3. They sound delicious! Wow, Judy I would hate the wind too! I have never experienced such a thing!

    In Taos, NM the spring winds are terrible and I have noticed people act mentally off during the winds!

    Happy Spring!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi again. I nominated your blog for the Lemonade award, you can see the details on my blog.

    : )

    ReplyDelete