Monday, April 27, 2009

SNOW DAY...again!



This is the east side of our quonset...where the door to the chickens is/was...the drifts are very high...snow on the ground as I was walking was over my knees...then there are places where the ground is rather bare! However, anything to the east has huge drifts around and beside it. So, I plowed/walked through the snow drifts to the west side and what-do-you-know -- no snow drifts, so I went in on that side.

I told my pup (year old) Anatolian, Boo-Boo to go to his pen/kennel. He looked at me like -- are you kidding? So I plowed through the snow to his pen...his house was completely buried as was his kennel...yup, it is on the east side of the shop! So I dug out his dog house.

This weather is crazy.......good moisture, but crazy. This is so very hard on the livestock (cattle) or what-have-you. Especially when we are calving as are other ranches. The snow is heavy and wet, with slop underneath. This will certainly do wonders for our grazing meadows, if all can survive the continual storms that keep washing in! This is suppose to keep up through Thursday of this week.

I know my van could not make it out of our ranch road. I hope everyone is safe where they are and not experiencing too much bad weather. I see that tornados are tearing through the countryside. When I lived in Illinois...we were in the tornado ally part, just as Rockford was, every April brought the scare of tornados. I remember when our little housing development was nearly wiped out with a horrific tornado that tore through the homes. Our street was left standing, it was on my Mom's birthday, April 21, 1967. I saw this BIG BLACK upside down hat black blob heading for our housing development. It went in the same road I would have gone in if I did not go "up-town" to pick up my Mom's special banana cream cake. When I got the cake the sirens were sounding. I drove the mile back to our housing area and could not get back into my home. I had to go to the highschool and register and get a special card that I really lived there. Was I ever glad to see my Mom, she was at home that day! Earlier in the day I had seen all these "little" tornados hitting down all around the area and splattering the sky with debris!

I never really knew the actual impact this had on me until my husband and sons were driving through Nebraska. The sky was green/gray, very quiet...I told my husband we were driving into a tornado. He said, no that it was just dirt being blown around. I knew better. We came upon a small town that was destroyed by the passing tornado. I just broke down, it was so devastating! Whenever I see something on TV about a city/town destroyed by a tornado it just made me a wreck, and I could not stop crying. I am better now, but it took a very long time to get over seeing what a tornado can do firsthand.

So, I am glad that I left northern Illinois and the "tornado ally" area. I know there are so many other states that experience the same type of weather! We may have our 45-85 mph winds and sometimes upwards to 100 mph, but so far we have not had any tornados out here. When I first moved here, the wind scared me and made me ill. It would roar down from the Rocky Mountains and crash into our little stucco house that we were living in at the time. The old windows would rattle. I was home along one time and the winds were unreal. I thought this must be what they experience in Florida when the hurricanes come in. I found some heavy duty tape and crossed taped the windows.

We do experience bad hail storms out here. One year a horrible hail storm roared in from the north with tennis ball size hail...it started out -- ping-ping on the windows, then pong-pong, then crash-crash. I grabbed the children, who were very young, and put them in their bedroom. At first I could not find our oldest son, I called his name -- I could hear a muffled sound coming from inside the bedroom, he was hiding under his bed and very scared. The windows began to break and the hail came crashing into the house. When it was over, there was over 3-feet of hail inside piled up on the walls! We had purchased our first new vehicle that year...it was full of dents! I was wondering where my husband was during all of this chaos and rather mad that he was not here to help. When he finally dragged himself in, he explained that he was out in the corral and under a bale wagon trying to get out of the hail! Sorry, honey, for the bad thoughts!

So, every area on our earth experiences some very severe weather at one time or another. But I never want to see another tornado coming at me!

Take care everyone, stay safe during this turbulant time of the year!

4 comments:

  1. Oooh, I am with you on the tornadoes. They scare me to death.
    You can keep you snow, though....

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'd rather be in tornado country here in IL than be buried in snow up there in MT!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Matt, as long as we have power, and wood to put in the furnace and food in the freezer the snow is good. But when we are calving, it is bad! Also such a worry to get feed to our livestock. With snow you can hanker down and stay warm, with a tornado -- YIKES!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Matt, I grew up in tornado country (Mich) I'll take snow any day!

    Judy, I sure feel for you! We had snow but it didn't stick. What you got up there is just amazing!

    ReplyDelete