Sunday, June 21, 2009

My Mobility Mobile


My two feet













My two pedals













My wonderful Coast King...which I call my Coast Queen!









...because of the internet and other sources of information...it appears companies, agencies, etc. all know the age of a person...when a person is nearing the age of 50, you will probably receive information on joining the AARP...whaaaa...okay, I know there are certain types of benefits gained from joining the AARP...when traveling, motel clerks ask, "Are you a member of AARP?"...it appears there is a 10% discount on the room rent...Well, I have to tell you I have resisted joining AARP until this month...this after a-gazillion messages from AARP ...but I broke down and sent in my fees and received my cards...I only joined in my name...but, bless the internet or the records that are kept (somewhere)...someone knew I had a husband and knew his age and sent along a card for him, too -- bless the snoop who knew (?)...or not.



...now, just the other day I received some more communication this time in regard to one of those motorized chairs...whaaaa????...I tossed it promptly in the garbage, but then on second thought, I retrieved it...you just never know...but it was beyond recovery...some sort of goo was stuck to it...eweee...so back in the garbage...I am sure I will get more of the same information again.



So, that brings me to my mobility mobile...bless my Coast King (which, by the way, I call Coast Queen)...I purchased this wonder some 35 years ago...people ask how many gears I have on my bike...I answer, two -- my two pedals...lordy, they look at me like I am beyond hope. Actually have four gears...my two pedals and my two feet!!! I have purchased and tried two of the bikes with the fancy gears...I just did not do well on them..."Where are the breaks???" I also tended to "strip" the gears, I just never got it right!



I use to tear around on this wonderous mobility mobile -- rip and zip around the trails out to the plowed fields and down our murdeous gravel road...I would do this special "mount" -- one foot on the pedal, get the bike rolling and then throw the other leg over the seat and rip off...oh my goodness! I did learn to ride a bike on a boys bike with that bar in the middle (the killer bar, when you accidently slipped off the seat and hit it...I can still hear the screams and feel the pain)...but the bar did keep the bike from flipping all over the place when you took your hands off the handle bars and road with the wind!



At this point in my life, I keep my hands planted firmly on the handle bars, my mounts are putting my butt gently on the seat, placing my feet carefully on the pedals, giving a push with one foot and off I go...slowly, carefully...going out of my gravel road is a "uphill grade"...it does not look this way, but believe me it is all Uphill! Coming back I go like crazy, peddling like there is no tomorrow...knowing if I crash and burn there may be no tomorrow...or it would be painfull.
So since my left foot is full of problems and my hips...and oh I won't bore you with all the kinks in the old body...walking is not a choice anymore...so, out comes my wonder mobility mobile! And I am off with the wind in what is left of hair (I got a little sissors happy a week or so ago)!



My dog, Boo-Boo, loves to run along side...we have a race when I come back and it is Downhill!
I always thought getting "old" would be fun...just enjoying life, not worrying about the "packaging" anymore (what you looked like)...just becoming a jolly older person...I thought the aches would hit somewhere in the eighties...The other day I was walking back to let my pup out of his kennel and my left foot was really in pain...I thought to myself, "I feel like an old lady"...then it dawned on me that I was an old lady...not reallllllly old, but old enough! Yikes!



...It is Father's Day...a happy day to all the fathers out there! It is overcast and 58 degrees here today...which is fine with me...I do not like it too hot. I like it about 70 degrees. And, of course, there is a wind blowing so that makes it cooler.



...happy day everyone...take care, enjoy, live life to the fullest, and be kind to others!


3 comments:

  1. heh heh. I turn 50 in July but have been an AARP member for 8 years since the hubby turned 50. Gotta love the discounts but I haven't gotten the chair flyer yet...hmmmm. What do you have that I don't? heh heh

    ReplyDelete
  2. ...yeah, I don't know about the chair flyer...but maybe they have taken my "advanced" years into consideration and think that something must have broken down by now!!! ...and they are not far off!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice...

    http://youritzone.blogspot.com
    http://onetechspot.blogspot.com
    http://urtechguide.blogspot.com
    http://onetechsite.blogspot.com
    http://thecomputersight.blogspot.com

    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete