Wednesday, September 2, 2009

Total Knee Replacement!





"I didn't wanna do it...I didn't wanno do it"...and so it goes...However, my left knee gave out a few months ago and it was time to do the Total Knee Replacement! Arrrrgh! Right up to the last minute when I was being "snuggled" into the pre-op bed and the tubes were being inserted, I thought, I still have time to stop this, there still is time! But then I remembered the problems with the knee pain and it giving out and there was no trust left in "what was left of the knee parts" on my left leg.
Woe-is-me!!... and so I put my trust into the hands of the surgical team and next thing I know I am trying to wake up in my room. The pain meds made me very ill, different ones were tried. I especially like it when you say you are nauseated and they suggest you eat a dry saltine in a very dry mouth with urges to throwup. So, being a good trooper I try and chew the saltine...it turns to some kind of solid goo lodged against my teeth. Try not to cough, who knows what may hurt. Drink the hospital water. The cracker does not work. Try a little yogart -- does yogart really taste that way??? I was told to drink water, then I was told to not drink water if it was making me throw up -- team, we have to get together if we want this to work. New pain meds were tried -- also shots in the IV to stop the nausea, yikes. Nausea. One night there was the passive exercise machine on the knee surgery, something wrapped around my good leg so as not to get blood clots, an IV that was swelling up my arm and setting off the alarms, the oxygen in my nose and then my nerve pinched on my right side -- the only good side I had left! I thought I would not make it. The nurses propped pillows up against my right back and hips and tipped me over to the left -- yup, off went the alarm on my IV...
The beds are something else! I had Marvin go out and purchase a foam mattress topper for a twin bed -- WOW, what a difference that made. Wish I had thought of that first thing. So, don't leave your foam topper at home.
My husband was allowed to stay in the room with me which made it a whole lot nicer -- not for him, but for me.
Physical therapists helped me with the exercise routine, had me up and walking -- they were very nice and great to work with.
For the most part the nurses and certified nurses aides took very good care of me. I just wish they knew what to do about taking the pain meds. I was given pain meds for the trip home. By the time we got to Logan Pass I was extremely nauseated and wondered how on earth I would do going across the pass with all the delays.
We made it home...yes, home!
I was given pain med prescriptions to take home. The pharmacy put these lovely instructions on the pills -- take with MILK or FOOD. How very simple Milk...I love milk, milk loves me. I could have been taking milk with the pills. Once I started this, no more nausea!
Had some very wild dreams while in the hospital and when I got home. Keeping the swelling down is a problem.
Had a very hard time with my intestinal track! Need better plans in the hospital to keep the old bowels ready to be operational.
So, here it is a week after the surgery, I am walking without fear my knee will give me a sharp pain and then give out. Doing my exercises like a good girl.
The first picture is a lovely arrangement that Margie Lou and her Mom, Linda had sent to hospital. Boy, I really needed that smiley cup and lovely flowers that day!
The other pictures are pretty self explanatory. The scar (about 7-1/2 inches long) with the staples was taken today. I was "lucky" and had some "fracture blisters" on my leg in various places. Felt real good when the tape was stripped off the first time!
I was given a waterproof bandages which I can shower in.
Well, that is it for this post. Gotta elevate that leg!
No more new pictures to share on Jason and Kara's house raising...not much done since last I wrote.
I hope you are all well....................

5 comments:

  1. Yikes, that looks painful! By the sounds of the post is was. I am sorry.

    I am glad the surgery was successful. You are an amazing woman!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, I am sorry for your pain. If it is any consolation I have heard that new knees are better than old knees. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Judy E., You are one brave woman!! It looks like you are truckin' along and the healing process has started. You are so welcome for your smiley face mug. I am excited that the flower shop had it. I knew after I got off the phone with you that you needed a pick me up.
    Love much, Margie Lou

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello ms. Judy,
    Those pics are pretty gnarly to take in! I took my friend who had dbl knee replacement in to have those staples taken out. She still wishes she had a photo of my face when they took the bandages off and I saw her knees all stapled ;-}
    I bow to you and all you have gone through. This is not an easy adventure. I wish you complete relief of pain and may the healing be swift!
    Spirithelpers

    ReplyDelete