Wednesday, January 27, 2010

French Silk Pie -- Oh My!



Oh my goodness...let's all eat French Silk Pie! Now, some recipes call for melted chocolate -- but I am a true blue Hershey's Cocoa Powder girl from Way Back When!

This recipe came from another Judy (good friend) and it gets into a person's mind and taste buds and is never forgotten!

Do the graham cracker thing with your "crust" -- One package of graham crackers pulverized and mixed with real butter or margarine (a Tbl or two melted), throw in some sugar. Set this aside (10 inch pie plate).

Now to the good part:

2 cups granulated sugar
1 cup REAL butter (you have to use real butter)
4 eggs
1 Tbl real vanilla
6 Tbl Hershey's unsweetened Cocoa Powder
2 Tbl cooking oil

I use a 10-inch glass pie plate. (the combination of cocoa powder and oil acts like real melted chocolate).

Cream the sugar and butter, add the cocoa powder, cooking oil and cream some more -- scraping the sides of the mixer bowl upon occasion. When this is all creamy, add the vanilla and then 2 eggs at a time. After each addition of eggs beat for about 3 minutes, throw in the last 2 eggs and beat another 3 minutes. Total of 6 minutes with the eggs.

When you are creaming the sugar, butter, cocoa powder, and cooking oil the mixture is grainy -- adding the eggs will take care of this. Do not over beat or you may get a oily mixture -- still good to eat but not very attractive.

The addition of the eggs will make the mixture very fluffy and this is what you want. Scoop this wonderful mixture (try not to sample too much or you will really have a sugar/butter high) into your prepared graham cracker pie plate.

Put into refrigerator so it will firm up. Doesn't take long -- then dive in!

The butter I used was made from Jason and Kara's Brown Swiss milk cows wonderful cream. I made the butter yesterday from all the cream we get off her rich milk. The eggs I use are from our own laying hens.

Then, if you have never made the Hershey's Cocoa Hot Water cake -- you really must, the recipe is usually on the container...if not, let me know and I will give it to you..........so very good! Frost this wonderful cake with cream cheese frosting ( add vanilla and a dash of almond flavoring) OR make the wonderful Betty Crocker's, Quick Fudge Frosting!

I do love chocolate...and for the most part try to be good and stay away from it -- there are times, my friends when you just have to give in and have a bite or two!

Have a great day...I hope you have your Betty Crocker cook book handy...my is near "death" but I cannot part with it!

21 comments:

  1. Yum! I might just try this tonight sans crust. Like a mousse of sorts.
    Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I plan on trying this TOMORROW! It looks so good.
    I do need the Hershey's Cocoa Hot Water cake recipe as well. I am a chocolate lover and that is why I don't buy it, but that doesn't stop me from making it every now and then. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jennie, I just e-mailed you the recipe! xxxooo

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks, I got your email.
    I also just made the pie tonight. It is in the refrigerator firming up! I tried not to sample too much, but mmmmm... it is good!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  9. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  10. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  11. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  12. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  13. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  14. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  15. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  16. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  17. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  18. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  19. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  20. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  21. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete