Saturday, April 3, 2010

The Bears are Out and About!









I was in our home and heard all this barking from our Anatolian dogs outside. I could tell that a bear or bears may be in the area the way they were smelling the air. The wind was blowing very hard, possibly 30 mph at the time coming in from the southwest.

Boo-Boo my young Anatolian was charging towards the haystack to the west and then dashing back.

I went outside to investigate. I saw an adult grizzly then two yearling grizzlies crossing the water to the southwest of my house -- then another grizzly came lumbering down the hill and crossed the creek. I realized that there was a mother and her three cubs -- they are yearling size. They were going down into our old garden area back in the trees.

In one of the pictures you can see Boo barking at them. I was very concerned for Boo's safety and yelled for him to come back. He would come back and charge at them again. Momma did some seem very concerned with his actions at all.

I ran into the house to get my camera and took the following pictures. The bears were about 100 feet or so from me across the little creek that is right outside my back door. I yelled at her a few times and yelled at Boo to come back. She did turn her head but did not seem to be very concerned. The wind was howling and blowing my way -- so my scent was going northeast really fast.

My camera tends to push things away more so than they actually are. We had a group of four male elk right outside our door and my camera made them look as if they were a mile away.

These happenings of bears so very close are the reason I got out of raising sheep those many years ago.


I am wishing everyone a great holiday weekend and safe travels if you are on the roadways.

2 comments:

  1. Spring, eh?

    Happy Easter.

    Wildlife is amazing, scary and magnificent all at once.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, I'm kind of glad I don't live that close to bears anymore!
    Growing up we still only saw them a handful of times, not several times a year!
    Miss you tons!!!

    ReplyDelete