Tuesday, June 29, 2010

The Simple Things in Life














Spring/Summer has finally come to our little valley by the mountains. It has been a struggle to get to this season this year but it has been worth it! It is green everywhere -- that intense green with a tinge of yellow green to make it look delicious.

Since we live in a very windy valley with extreme temps and cold nights (thank goodness) it is hard to grow many types of flowers, trees, bushes, and etc.

I once saw a Columbine coming up through a crack in a slab of cement and knew that was the flower for me and our area. They withstand most of the winds, snow into June and beyond, freezing weather, hail, and other hazards of trying to survive in our high altitude and diverse weather conditions. They come up by themselves each year and spread out and bloom. Love them. I would suppose some think of them as a "weed" since they will continue to populate a flower bed. But that is what I need -- tenacity -- to survive here everything has to have tenacity!

Iris's seem to do well if protected from the wind and in a sunny spot -- they, too, spread out and form their own bed and beyond!

Violas and Pansies also do well and will come back year after year! They also can live through a late summer snow storm!

Our Choke Cherry Bushes are full of blooms and should produce those very tart berries. I so love and enjoy our lilacs. It took quite a while for them to get established but now are blooming beautifully!

I marvel at all the types and styles of the Columbines. I thought, at one time, that I had some orange Columbines, but they must have been snuffed out by a dog laying on them. Darn!

Our delightful dramatic orange poppies do really well on the west side of our home...they have just begun to bloom!

...I thought I had lost this post once or twice my computer goes a little crazy once in a while!

Have a great day and enjoy the simple things in life.

2 comments:

  1. Seeing these lovely flower pictures makes me happy. I love all kinds of flowers and have been snapping pictures of various species wherever I go so I can enjoy them on a cold winter day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. They are so beautiful. You have an amazing green thumb!

    ReplyDelete